Sunday, July 14, 2013

Friday-June 21, 2013


 We started our day in Korah filled with dozens of beautiful children. Which is the norm for the next six weeks and I am beyond thrilled about that. Speaking of norms, I also got to spend my morning enjoying a coffee ceremony with some of the women of mission Ethiopia. Coffee ceremonies are probably one of my favorite things. (I’ve had three in the past two days.) They roast the coffee, grind the coffee, and add the water, all on this tiny pot of hot coals. It’s probably the most delicious coffee I’ve ever had in my life. And until you taste it for yourself you won’t understand what I am talking about.

During these six weeks, I get the opportunity to make home visits. Kayla is a really awesome woman who was called to Ethiopia missions right after her first trip here. She finished nursing school and is now the nurse in Korah, and becoming a fast friend. She asked me to accompany her on a medical home visit today. Thank goodness this stuff doesn’t make me queasy, but I wasn’t prepared for what I saw. When I entered the small home there was an old lady laying her bed. Kayla pulled back the covers to unveil the lady’s body, which I literally have no idea how to describe to you all. Her legs were smaller than my arms, and you could see each of her ribs. Her body was in a C-shape from lying in the same spot for the past two years that she couldn’t even move her legs without crying out in pain. I had to hold back the tears as I helped Kayla bandage this ladies bed sore. I am amazed at how willing she is to jump into any situation. Her love for the Lord radiates through everything she does, and I am excited to continue getting to know her and work along side of her in Korah.

I know you probably don’t care that I ate pizza for lunch, but I had the best company. Some of the older boys in the compound have taken the title as our “body guards”. They are just genuine boys who are full of joy. And we invited them along for lunch. There was so much laughter at the table as we sang and danced to Justin Beiber. Guys, I’m telling you every person I meet makes it easier and easier to fall in love with Ethiopia. We ended the day with bible study with a few of the missionaries from around the area. What an encouraging time to study God’s word and sing praises amidst the beautiful African sunset. Just adding 10,000 more reasons to praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment