Sunday, July 14, 2013

Monday-Wednesady

-->
Tuesday marks emotional breakdown #2 since I’ve been here. It’s the little things that trigger my flood of tears. Today was the song “Amos Story” by Aaron Ivey. 30 home visits in three days takes an emotional and physical toll on a person. And out of all of these visits one stands out among the rest…
As we walked through the streets, my feet splashing in yesterday’s mud puddles, I couldn’t help but smile. Fikadu is one of my favorite people I’ve met in Ethiopia, and I was so excited to see where he lives. We were welcomed into his small mud-covered home by Mama Desta’s sweet smile. Her name means “happy” and that she is. We sat on springs and blankets that they call their bed as the smell of enjera and coffee filled the home. Enjera is kind of like bitter, soggy bread. Which sounds disgusting, and it was the first couple of times I ate it. But this was the best enjera I have had since I’ve been in Ethiopia. I think the fact that she spent all day in preparation for our visit made it taste that much better. Talk about hospitality. This lady who has nothing, gave us everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment