Sunday, July 14, 2013

Thursday & Friday- June 27-28


 I’m literally holding back tears as I sit at my computer and relive these last couple of days. I am emotionally and physically exhausted. And forever changed.

Stacy and her husband, Brad, are starting a new sponsorship program called “Out of the Ashes.” While we are here we get the really cool opportunity to meet each child. As I sat and read each child’s profile I was brought to tears (something that happens quite often since I landed in this beautiful country). I read things like “I only take a shower twice a month” and “I eat once a day.” The question that really got me was “Have you ever considered giving your child up for adoption?” and more than half of the parents/guardians answered “yes”…
These people are living in such terrible conditions that they would give up their own child if it meant giving them an education or a chance at a better life. Walking into each home and seeing the child face-to-face makes this all so real. Most of the time sponsor kids become just a face on our refrigerator who we send money to each month. It’s easy to forget they are real people. As I sit amongst mud-covered walls and in plastic houses meeting these beautiful children, I’m reminded of how God, not only sees me, but all of these kids. He’s literally got the whole world in his hands.

I talk a lot about a group of boys in Korah. Mostly because they are whom I spend most of my time with and I absolutely love each and every one of them. They make me laugh and are just full of so much joy. Friday we all hopped in the van together and made our way to the dump. It was so sad to see their whole demeanor change as we drove through the gravel roads up to one of the boy’s houses. I was overwhelmed knowing that each of these boys, who I have grown to love so much, have all lived here. They each have stories of eating sugar packets and creamer, and sleeping with pigs to keep warm. And if you asked them when the Ethiopian Airline dump truck came, they would know the exact day and time. It was such a sad reality that people lived this way. And still do. What I saw and smelled is something that will forever be ingrained in me.

 Maybe I don’t have the biggest house or nicest car, but I have the ability to take a shower everyday. I have a warm bed and clothes falling out of my dressers (literally). I have a pantry stocked with snacks for whenever I get hungry. I have an education. And I have a mom and a dad who love me very, very much. These are the things I take for granted everyday and these are the things that these children long for everyday. God is daily breaking my heart for what breaks his. And it’s only week one…

No comments:

Post a Comment