Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tuesday July 23, 2013

There have been certain moments thought our six weeks in Africa where Stacy and I will say to each other, "that's a blog worthy moment" and today was definitely one of those days.
We were standing around chatting with the boys in our "cracker Amharic" (as Stacy calls it) waiting for the team to arrive when I see a crowd of kids running behind the can. Now, a crowd of kids in Korah is not uncommon. Especially when the ferenge are in town (that's what they call us foreigners).  But this gathering was for a different reason. And only in Africa do children gather because a boy brought his pet monkey to the compound. For real. I looked over and saw this tiny little animal climbing on this boys shoulder. I quickly ran over to get a closer look and the boy handed it to me. Not only was I holding a monkey, but I was holding an African monkey! I know I sound silly but you have to understand, monkeys are my favorite animals. It's been one of my lifelong dreams to actually get to hold one. I spent the rest of the morning chasing it around and being in a total daze. But the fun doesn't stop there. That afternoon we went to Fikadu's house to have coffee one last time before our departure Sunday. I was just sitting there enjoying some popcorn when Fikadu brought me another monkey. Two monkeys in one day. I was totally freaking out at this point. The boys and I sat and laughed as we watched him eat popcorn with his tiny fingers. I was soaking up every moment when I felt something warm on my leg...yep, you guessed it; the monkey peed on me! I was totally embarrassed as Mama Desta quickly got up to get me a wet cloth to wipe myself off with. That night I came home and felt super itchy. I assumed it was the millions of Mosquitos that swarm my head each night, but when I woke up I was covered in flea bites. Only in Africa can I say I held a monkey, it peed on me, and it gave me fleas. This is definitely a TIA (this is Africa) moment that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment