Monday, July 15, 2013

July 7-14




Day 26 since I’ve been in Ethiopia and this is my 6th blog post. I had every intention of writing a blog everyday so everyone reading would feel like they were here with me, but that is just not the case. Partly because I don’t have the time to sit down and write about every little detail about my day, but mostly because I don’t have the words. And even if I did, you guys wouldn’t understand. Korah is a completely different world from where we live. I see children fighting until there is blood for the leftover sheep bone from lunch. I have countless children asking me for shoes. I have mothers asking me to take their baby to America. There are people all around me dying from HIV and leprosy. And there are children eating trash. These are the things I see everyday.
As we walked through Korah delivering beds last week, I stood there watching everyone and thought to myself, “This feels like home.” Being here is physically and emotionally exhausting. But I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. The things I’ve learned and the relationships I’ve made are all going to make this place incredibly hard to leave. This culture is full of people who share and look after each other. They have welcomed me in with open arms and captured my heart. I literally will never be the same people of these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment